Skip to content

Saying Thank You

March 22, 2018

Recently a colleague called seeking assistance and I referred him to a partner with that expertise. My partner spent considerable time talking to the caller, and also referred him to an attorney that was engaged.

I saw my partner a few weeks later and he told me what he did and that the caller seemed pleased, and I thanked him for handling the call. He then mentioned that he was glad to help, however he was upset he never received a follow up call with a “thank you” after the consultation with the attorney. Further, I never got a thank you for the referral to my partner.

Actually this happens a lot and I’ve stopped thinking about it…until my partner mentioned it. I then realized that I rarely get a thank you from the many people I mail books or magazine articles to, or afterwards when the matter I was called about that was “so important” was successfully concluded based on the advice or guidance I provided. I don’t mind it, I have come to expect the lack of thanks – I do what I do because I like helping people and my pleasure is in doing what I do.

The same situation applies to texts or emails. A simple reply that acknowledges receipt saying TY, Rec’d or a smiling emoji 😃 lets the sender know you received it. If something needs a reply and you cannot respond quickly, providing a time or date when you will also works. These are simple courtesies.

It would be nice to get a “thank you” once in a while. It would also be even nicer if my partner that did not know the caller and who was doing me a favor received a follow up “thank you” call or email from the person he helped. It is a small gesture and would create a great deal of pleasure. Say “thank you” once in a while.

Thank you for reading my blogs.

5 Comments leave one →
  1. Robert Gulick permalink
    March 22, 2018 7:50 am

Thank you for writing your blogs. Bob

On Thu, Mar 22, 2018, 4:57 AM The Partners’ Network wrote:

> WithumSmith+Brown, PC posted: “Recently a colleague called seeking > assistance and I referred him to a partner with that expertise. My partner > spent considerable time talking to the caller, and also referred him to an > attorney that was engaged. I saw my partner a few weeks later and h” >

2. Alan Zeitlin permalink
    March 22, 2018 8:22 am

Thank you for writing your blogs.

3. March 22, 2018 11:16 am

So true. Thanks for bringing this to everyone’s’ attention.

4. Steven oberg permalink
    March 22, 2018 1:57 pm

Thank you for your excellent writint!

5. Lynn permalink
    March 26, 2018 6:21 am

Thank you for the great reads! There may be little reason to appreciate Monday mornings but for reading your blog. I always look forward to it.